Thursday, 20 April 2017

Accessibility Hardware: Environmental Controls

There once was a time where if you put all the electronic items such as TV remote controls that I may need during the day in very close proximity to me that I would be all right. Now, however that is simply not the way I work. Quite a few years have passed since I lost the ability to do anything really useful with my hands except just about use computer and drive my wheelchair. In that time I have needed more creative solutions to access things in my home like the TV, light switches and the telephone. I have always used an environmental control. This is a device which can record and fire out IR signals such as the ones that come out of the television remote control and activate some light switches.

The one I have at the moment is called a Vivo+ and it is produced by a company called Possum. This one has a screen on the front which allows me with the touch of a single button the ability to scan through a list of recorded infrared signals. The version I have also connects to a pager and my telephone. With this system I can easily navigate the menus on my TV and get hold of people in an emergency. The bonus features are that I could use it as an intercom and a light switch. I no longer need to worry about moving my hand over loads of controls which is something that is impossible for me now. It is also a darnn sight better than having to tell somebody else but I want to watch. That is just not the way you want to watch adult movies. The version I have is quite an old one and I have had it for at least 8 years but the new one which is available now runs of a Samsung tablet. It works exactly the same as the old one but with this one I can send text messages, use skype, surf the Internet and all those nice things that you would expect to be able to do with any smart device.

Suffice to say I think that pretty much covers this simple but invaluable device. If you are struggling and regulating TV controls and using the home phone and all that stuff that people just take the granted. Then I would highly recommend that you try and get hold of and OT and get some sort of environmental control. I guarantee you that it will increase your independence tenfold.

Bert


Possum:
http://www.possum.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment